Timika, Papua — Papua Police chief Insp. Gen. Bekto Suprapto said Tuesday that there would not be any further deployment of police personnel despite the recent shootings near the PT Freeport Indonesia mining company area in Timika.
“The police and the military are hunting for the perpetrators,” he said as quoted by Antara state news agency.
A group of unidentified gunmen opened fire on a convoy of vehicles carrying employees of mining firm PT Freeport Indonesia and security officers on Sunday, the first shooting incident after a few months of calm.
Nine people, including one foreign employee and four Mobile Brigade police officers, were injured by broken glass during the ambush, which took place at around 6:10 a.m. local time.
Also wounded in the incident were local Freeport employees and an elementary school student.
The renewed attack took place between mile markers 60 and 61 on the road to Freeport’s gold and copper mine from Tembagapura to Kuala Kencana in the town of Timika, Mimika regency.
Bekto said that all victims, including police personnel had been evacuated to Jakarta for medical treatment.
Separately, Bekto’s deputy Brig. Gen. Syafei Aksal said that the perpetrators used rifles in the shooting, based on the bullet shells found at three locations during the investigation.
There are currently a total of 1,700 police and military personnel guarding the area.
Source: the Jakarta Post