No military reinforcements sent to Papua

Defense Minister Purnomo Yusgiantoro said no military troops from outside Papua had been deployed there to back up security forces in the restive province.

“(There have been) no TNI personel shipments to Papua from other regions. Security (there) is fully under the police`s control,” he said on Wednesday (26/10).

The minister said security in Puncak Jaya is still under police coordination and it is under public security category.

Purnomo admitted that there had been an increase in the intensity of security maintenance following shooting incidents recently claiming among others the life of the chief of the Mulia police sector in the district of Puncak Jaya, Adjunct Commissioner Dominggus Otto Awes but the situation there was still under control.

“If any military personnel are conducting security operations there, they are from the local command to help police. Once again, there has not been any deployment of TNI personnel there,” he said.

Purnomo said if needed his office would certainly be involved in deciding it. “So far there has not been any report about it to me,” he said.

National Police Chief General Timur Pradopo echoed Purnomo`s s statement saying that security in Papua was being maintained by local forces. “Security there is being maintained by fully employing the existing personnel there,” he said.

Source: ANTARA News

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Military, Papua, Separatism

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s