The Jayawijaya Police said on Wednesday that they found a 3-kilogram bomb in Abusa hamlet, Kurulu District, Jayawijaya, after a number of recent bombings in Wamena.
“From our investigation, the suspects said that there were around 20 kilograms of bombs across Wamena. So far, we have found 5 kilograms, so there are still many bombs left out there,” said Papua Police spokesman Adj. Sr. Comr. I Gede Sumerta in Jayapura on Wednesday.
In September, a bomb blast rocked a room of the Jayawijaya Legislative Council, followed by another explosion at a police post.
The police so far have detained 10 suspects and they are still pursuing an additional five more suspects. Previously, the police discovered a bomb in Honai Lama.
“The 10 suspects violated the Law No. 21/1951 on Possession of Explosive Materials, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison,” said Sumerta, adding that the bombs were transported from Biak.
“It was also revealed that the gang had plans of bombing a number of regions across Papua on the same date and the Wamena bombings were just the beginning of the Papua bombing [campaign],” added Adj. Sr. Comr. Parlin Silitonga, head of the Papua Police’s Crime Unit.
Parlin went on to say that one suspect in the Wamena bombing was allegedly involved in a murder in Jayapura on August, which left four people dead.
Source: The Jakarta Post